Tuesday, July 06, 2004

 
Come and witness my karaoke prowess! Yes, tomorrow (Wednesday) is my Extreme Karaoke semi-final at the Laundry on Johnston St, Fitzroy. I still haven't decided what song to sing yet, and I'm starting to get really nervous about it. Last night I dreamed I was trying to tell the DJ what song I'd chosen and I couldn't remember.

This could be dismissed as pure dream paranoia, except that a very similar thing happened the week before last when I wanted to call my editor at the SMH about that stupid gay footballers article (which was actually in the paper on Saturday but I can't find it anywhere online, so I can't link to it). I called up the Herald switch but as the receptionist said hello, I realised that for the life of me, I couldn't remember the editor's surname.

So I said, "I'm after a section in the Saturday paper."
The receptionist said, "What section?"
I wanted to say "Spectrum" but I couldn't remember that name either, so I said, "You know, the one with the articles in it."
She said, "What sort of articles?"
And I couldn't remember the word "features" either, so I said desperately, "You know..."
"No, I don't," she said tartly.
"Ummm, kind of artsy articles and interviews and stuff..." (I was going to liken it to the Saturday Extra section in The Age, but I realised this would mean nothing to her.)
It was getting pretty embarrassing when in a blinding flash, the word "Spectrum" came back to me and mercifully she transferred me.

It was like that time on The Simpsons when Homer, deprived of his subliminal vocabulary-enlarging tapes, forgets the word for "spoon" and refers to it as a "tool used to dig food". Homer also once told his son Bart that "the doctors thought I might have brain damage." Bart replied, "Dad, what's the point of this story?" to which Homer responded, "I like stories."

And with that self-deprecating, circular segue, I'm back at my original point - tomorrow night's semi-final! It starts at 9pm and people will be judged on the cheer they receive, so please show up and cheer for me. Yaaaaay! you'll cheer. Yaaaaaaay!!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter