Saturday, November 19, 2005

 
Extra! Extra! Council may be staffed by human beings!

Subject: contesting infringement notices
From: Mel
Date: Wed, October 12, 2005 3:33 pm
To: City of Melbourne

Dear Sir/Madam,

I write to contest parking infringement notices 101010101 and 010101010, plus any subsequent notices issued to my vehicle xxx-xxx. These notices were issued for offence number 701 - but as I will explain, I am unable to move this vehicle.

This vehicle was involved in a collision on Saturday 8 October. Afterwards I drove it to Thar She Blows* Accident Repair in North Melbourne. During the drive I observed that the impact to the front right wheel had seriously impaired the car's suspension system, twisting the steering wheel and making it difficult to steer. There was also a strong smell of burning oil and mechanical friction, which was remarked upon by Joe Blow, Director of Thar She Blows Accident Repair (9xxx-xxxx). Joe advised me not to drive the car unless strictly necessary.

I have spent this week dealing with insurance companies, lawyers, panel beaters, etc, all around my normal working hours. I have not yet determined whether I need to obtain repairer quotes for the damage to my car. I cannot afford to have it towed, and in any case, I do not yet know where to have it towed to. There is no off-street parking near my house where I can store the car in the interim. Two other members of my household already hold the maximum two permits.

I contacted Melbourne City Council in a state of distress because there is nothing I can do in the short term to avoid more parking infringements. The parking Duty Office advised me to contest the already issued infringement notices and to place a notice in the windscreen of my car instructing parking inspectors not to issue further notices. I hope you will also have the common sense and compassion to retract the two notices already issued to me.

I can be contacted at this email, or on mobile 04xx-xxx-xxx.

Thanks,

Mel Under-Whimsy.


Subject: Parking infringements: 101010101, 010101010 & 001001001
From: City of Melbourne
Date: Mon, November 14, 2005 3:21 pm
To: Mel

Dear Ms Under-Whimsy

PARKING INFRINGEMENT NOTICE NUMBER: 101010101, 010101010 & 001001001
VEHICLE REGISTRATION NUMBER: xxx-xxx

Thank you for your letter about the above parking infringement notices. Your comments have been considered and it has been decided to withdraw the notices.

This office wishes to advise for future reference, however, that it is the responsibility of the motorist to ensure that their vehicle is mechanically sound. A vehicle that is ‘mechanically sound’ does permit a motorist to leave a vehicle parked in contravention of the Road Roads - Victoria.

The City of Melbourne will not continually withdraw infringement where there is an ongoing mechanical problem, future infringement notices issued under similar circumstances will not be withdrawn.

* Names may have been changed

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter