Thursday, April 27, 2006

 
Musical despatches. Oh how I used to denigrate MySpazz, but I have found myself getting into it. This was originally because I wanted to reach out to the yoof of today for my very important community service project, but it has largely become an exercise in procrastination and a source of free music. This computer is so puny that listening to music on the internet is more efficient than downloading it, and I am usually very unadventurous in my musical choices anyway. I have also got into Pandora, which is terrifying to me. Right now there is a song playing on my "Boy Rock" station that has Morrissey's off-key singing but is actually called "Higherness" by Aveo. And now on my "Retro Electrodisco" station it's a song I haven't heard in frickin' ages: "Dreaming" by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark.

But anyway, here is some of the stuff I've been obsessed with lately. Lately I have been getting nostalgic for music I listened to in the period 1998-2000. Bis, Fatboy Slim, Propellerheads, Arkarna... I have been using MySpace to see what those artists are up to now, and I have discovered that the three members of Bis now have an awesome band called Data Panik that sounds like a cross between Devo and the B-52's.

Since Supermercado Adam reviewed their video, I have also been super into this snotty British pop-punk band called the Young Knives, particularly their new single, "She's Attracted To". I like it so much, especially as the opening line is: "Who are these people? They are too stupid to be your real parents."

I have also been obsessed with the soundtrack to the movie The Edukators, which I listened to repeatedly. Plus this 80s compilation CD, from which I was particularly obsessed with "Stay" by Oingo Boingo, "Right On Track" by the Breakfast Club and "Waiting For A Star To Fall" by Boy Meets Girl, which you might recall was recently turned into a horrid sped-up dance version, the fate that has befallen so many 80s and early 90s classics.

Also, last night I saw Dave Chapelle's Block Party, which is a hilarious and powerful musical doco directed by Michel Gondry, and I couldn't get over how amazing Jill Scott is. I mean, I knew before, but it makes me want to get back into her music. "I am the lady Jill Scott, and this is my pimple, Herbert," she tells the camera. Her smile lights up the screen. Her voice is electrifying. I love it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for music I ought to be getting into? I hear that Smelly Retardo is putting out a great Timbaland-produced album, but I haven't heard anything from it yet.

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been wanting to get back into the Incredible Melk stuff, but with a live funk band. Guitar, keys, bass, drums, at least two horns and hopefully a DJ or other electro dude. I am envisaging a kind of hot rock/electro/R&B sound, if that makes any sense. Of course, I would squander all this musical awesomeness on sophomoric songs about genitalia and bodily functions.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter